[MPlayer-dev-eng] An Idea - I cannot develop it. Scrap it if it is not any good.

Jason Tackaberry tack at sault.org
Mon Jul 25 15:37:59 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 14:26 +0100, VJ wrote:
>   I was just thinking if somebody adds this feature to mencoder
> someday - a filter which shows the frames on the screen as they are at
> the stage where the filter is added in the chain. It could be used to
> show the encoding as it proceeds. It could show all frames or every
> nth frame

I have developed something like this called vf_outbuf, which writes the
contents of the video to a shared memory buffer.  An external
application can handle the display portion of it, which is how it should
be in mencoder's case anyway.  Although I didn't build it for the type
of thing you're describing, it would be possible to use it that way.

It's sort of work-in-progress at the moment.  I hadn't planned on
posting it here for a while.  But if there's an interest I can whip
together a patch.

Cheers,
Jason.