[MPlayer-dev-eng] Patch: dynamic lowres

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Jul 22 06:21:41 CEST 2005

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 03:06:20AM +0500, Sergey Khlutchin wrote:
> Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> >Hi,
> >On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 09:44:54PM +0500, Sergey Khlutchin wrote:
> >
> >>I want to do automatic change this parameter on change the window size
> >>(when display size is in 2^n low than source frame size),
> >>but don't know how.
> >

> >Not a good idea, it must at least be an option. The quality of lowres
> >decoding is below that of (even really bad) scaling to half resolution.
>
> In my opinion lowres looks even little bit better than scaled to half.

With intra-only mpeg or mjpeg, it should look almost identical (but
slightly worse because of block boundaries) than scaling with the sinc
scaler. With any inter frames, error from the scaling and motion comp
operations not commuting will accumulate, and the image will corrupt
over time, often significantly. However it usually looks acceptable
still.

> >I'd also thing that you would have to reconfigure the vo and
> >dependent on -fixed-vo also uninit and reinit again (or is this done
> >indirectly somehow?).
>
> yes

Just re-calling config is acceptable. Any vo drivers that crash need
to be fixed. However I'm against inclusion of an unstable feature like
this..

Rich