[MPlayer-dev-eng] aspect function

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Fri Jul 8 08:49:45 CEST 2005

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 08:40:53AM +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 09:44:05 -0100
> Andrea Palmat?? <andrea at amigasoft.net> wrote:
>
> > I have a driver on my mplayer that is quite olad and that don't use the
> > aspect function.
> > Someone can explain me how this function works, which params i must pass to
> > it and what it returns?
>
> Actualy no. IIRC Arpi wrote this code long long ago
> and it got changed quite a few times.
>
> It's been on my to-document-list for quite a long time now,
> but i never came around it. The best advice i can give you
> is to look at the code what it does (it's not that complicated)
> and how other vo drivers use it.

Are you refferring to -aspect ?

All what -aspect does, is change d_width and d_height, which are the
"display resolution". If the VO can support some kind of scaling, it will
use these values to resize the from the original frame to that resolution.

Unless you specify -xy, -aspect always scales up. If you specify -x or -y,
-aspect is ignored. NONE of these options actually do any scaling, they
only change the "display resolution".

If your VO doesn't support any scaling, you can use '-vf scale=0:0',
which software scales to the display resolution, but this is slow if your
CPU cannot handle it.

I hope that was clear... Maybe this should be doc'ed somewhere...

- ods15