[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: using pthreads with mplayer

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Tue Jul 5 17:32:25 CEST 2005

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 05:19:14PM -0100, Andrea Palmat? wrote:
> At 13:37 05/07/2005, you wrote:
> >lol, there are no pthreads in MPlayer, at all. Disregarding -cache, MPlayer
> >is a completely single-threaded program. You're possibly thinking of
> >MPlayerXP, which is a threaded version of MPlayer. The way it works is by
> >making threads to decode the picture, and a single thread which each time
> >shows a new frame on the VO. Whether this speeds this up or not is
> >debatable, but not here.
> Strange because i've found in the config.h i've found:
>
> /* Define this if your system has pthreads */
> #define HAVE_PTHREADS 1
>
> and in config.mak
>
> HAVE_PTHREADS = yes
>
> searching thru the code i've found a pthread.c (in libavcodec) that is
> compiled on my system. so it is useless?

In MPlayer, yes. I was gonna mention it, then figured no point. Since
libavcodec is a general library, it works for other programs, and some
programs use it's threads feature for _encoding_ (afaik, it can't do
threaded decoding, atleast not within the library). Threaded encoding is
lower quality than regular encoding, and most likely not faster at all
unless you have SMP. See FAQ at http://ffmpeg.sf.net for why it's lower
quality.

I find it odd though that MPlayer's configure checks for it, seems
redundant...

- ods15