[MPlayer-dev-eng] Postproc Hell

Guillaume POIRIER guillaume.poirier at etudiant.univ-rennes1.fr
Mon Jan 31 22:54:15 CET 2005

Hi,

Le lundi 31 janvier 2005 à 22:06 +0100, Diego Biurrun a écrit :
> Andrea Palmatè writes:

> > @Guillaume
> > >I hear you. What I'm saying is that if you compile GCC from sources
> > >using Apple's CVS, the problem may disappear just like that: Whoof!
> > I don't think that is possible to download the macos source and recompile
> > it without problems. Is the GCC writtent entirely in assembly?
>
> No, that is not necessary, gcc bootstraps itself with the help of
> another C compiler.  Just try it.  There are GCC compilation
> instructions in our documentation:
>
> http://mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/gcc-296.html

Yes, please try that and tell us how it went out. You have tu understand
that Apple has made a lot of efforts to improve GCC (like the
intrinsics), but not all of that work has been merged into mainline.
That might have changed with recent versions of GCC, but I don't follow
GCC's dev close enough to be sure.

Anyway, either way, pint-point the problem in MPlayer's CVS (that might
be time consuming), or compile Apple's GCC, or FSF GCC-4.0 (you might
have to force the compiler version when running MPlayer's configure
script for it doesn't yet support GCC-4.0).
At least if you just compile gcc, you are only wasting computer cycle,
and not your time digging through the CVS (even if making the bootstrap
is fairly fast on my machine, only 29 minutes ;-).

So I'm strongly advising you to try a different compiler flavor, as the
very same code does work under MacOS-X, and the dear developer who wrote
the optimized version has a strong preference for MacOS-X, so...

Regards,
Guillaume