[MPlayer-dev-eng] Fwd: Re: accessibility misfeatures

Alexander Strasser eclipse7 at gmx.net
Tue Jan 11 11:56:35 CET 2005

Amaury Jacquot wrote ( On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 11:28:01AM +0100 ):
> Jindrich Makovicka wrote:
> >Alexander Strasser wrote:
> >
> >>I think you are right!
> >>This code sends an event of type SCREENSAVER with the content DEACTIVATE.
> >>This should be equal to fire up a xscreensaver-command -deactivate. And
> >>this pretends a user interaction meaning
> >>- if the screen was blanked => unblank it
> >>- if the screen wasn't blanked => reset the timeout.
> >>
> >>So either these accusations are wrong or there is more xscreensaver code
> >>in mplayer we don't know of. But i really don't think so.
> >

> >Actually, there is (or was, i didn't check if it's fixed) a different
> >XScreensaver vs. MPlayer issue. XScreensaver periodically re-enables
> >DPMS, regardless of screensaver pings, which means the screen turns off
> >in the middle of a movie anyway.
> >

> mebbe we need a standard way to communicate to Xscreensaver that
> screensaver should be off ?

Well, you can at least prevent it from popping up _without_ doing stupid
things like sending key events ( don't know if they send key events
internally but i hope they don't do so, would be very strange imho ).
The only problem that arose lately is explained below.

To the other problem jindrich talked about. This is a way different problem
and i am aware of it ( thanks to jindrich posting it to this list ). But
i decided to not correct it that way.

I have the following reason: Why should MPlayer fight against XScreenSaver?
Basically they need to fix this behaviour or need to provide a way to change
it in a sane manner.

I will try to make them aware of this situation if they aren't already.
If that doesn't help the situation than we have to disable DPMS again and
again all the time with the xscreensaver_heartbeat function...

  Alex (beastd)