[MPlayer-dev-eng] pedantic EDL decisioning

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Thu Feb 24 20:39:30 CET 2005

Hi,
I'm working on both EDL for MEncoder and for MPlayer, making the MPlayer EDL
more pedantic, and I realized some interesting details.
If for ex. you have a movie and you "censored out" 2 EDL areas, like this:

[----XXXX-XXXXX--]

When MPlayer reaches the first censored area, it will jump to after it, but
because of keyframing, it will end up on the other side of the censored area!
The current EDL code completely disregards this and lets the ENTIRE censored
area be played. This is not very good.

I can easily fix this, and make EDL jump again out of the censored area.
BUT. there's a catch.
Imagine you have this movie and EDL areas:

[K---XXKXXXX-------------------K----]
K is keyframe.

when reaching the first censored area, when EDL tries to jump out if it, some
demuxers (quicktime for ex.) will not jump to that Keyframe way later, but
the one IN the censored area. (Meaning, I asked it to seek 10 seconds, and
instead it only seeked 4).

The new EDL will recognize itself being in the censored area, and try to seek
again! Again, it will end up in the Keyframe in the censored area! Infinite
loop.

What should EDL do? My idea is to have it remember where it was, and if after
seeking it ended up in the same place or before, not to try seeking again. If
we always move forward, we can never infinite loop.

- ods15