[MPlayer-dev-eng] New remove-logo filter

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Feb 24 02:00:33 CET 2005

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 04:15:29PM -0800, Trent Piepho wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> > > Since mplayer is probably already linked with libpng, wouldn't it be easy to
> > > support png images?
> >
> > imo it's extra bloat and little point. we could also support all kinds
>
> If mplayer already has libpng for other reasons, then you just have to compare
> the difference between the code to use it, vs the code for a pgm decoder and
> loader.  It's not clear to me that using libpng would be more complex than
> writing a loader for pgm images.  I suppose I can always write the code and
> see.

it's much more complex. but the worst complexity of all is the extra
conditional compiling crap, which makes the code unreadable.

> > of images... but unless/until mplayer has a common image-loader api,
> > it's really ugly bloat to put all kinds of image-loaders (and all the
> > #ifdefs needed to check for each crappy lib) in every single filter
> > that needs to load an image file...
>
> Just make the entire filter depend on configure finding libpng, which it
> already looks for.

no, this is stupid. i disable libpng because it's unneeded bloat, and
i don't want this to disable useful filters too!!

> Once you support png, there really isn't any point to
> supporting another format.

why? this could be said about any image format you're particular to,
but it doesn't change the fact that someone else will have a different
preference.

rich