[MPlayer-dev-eng] New remove-logo filter

Yartrebo yartrebo at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 23 17:58:21 CET 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 17:33 +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hi,
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 11:26:56AM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> > >
> > > The image is made using a graphics program, such as the GIMP. Asking for
> > > raw greyscale might be asking a bit too much. Internally it's stored
> > > using 8bpp, so all that's lost is some hard disk space. Also, having the
> > > width and height stored is very useful to make sure the image matches
> > > the video stream dimensions (that check will be in the next revision I
> > > submit).
> >
> > i agree, raw grayscale is a stupid format. btw is there such thing as
> > grayscale tga?
>
> Well, then I would suggest raw pgm, it seems to me it has everything you
> want and the format looks very simple - also the data itself is exactly
> in the format you need it in memory later, so that you can read it
> directly in (which was my point against tga). And it is supported by
> almost any Linux/Unix program I think.
>
> Greetings,
> Reimar Döffinger

I'm reading up on the raw PGM format and it is very ugly. It's an ASCII
format and it allows whitespace, so I need to parse that out, and then
ASCII numbers have to be converted to binary ones. ASCII isn't very nice
because so many errors can happen. You can have values out of the valid
range, non-numeric characters, and who knows what.

As far as the data being the way I want it, it needs to be pre-processed
since the program doesn't use the actual data, but rather the distance
to the edge of the logo (calculated at init time using the loaded data).

That and The GIMP doesn't seem to support PGM.

Sincerely,
Robert Edele