[MPlayer-dev-eng] Mplayer: PT_GNU_STACK RWE

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 23 03:20:12 CET 2005

(re-sending to correct mplayer list..)

Hi, I've subscribed to this list just to post this one question.

The mplayer/mencoder executables are marked with PT_GNU_STACK RWE.
This is true for the RPMS which I use from Livna.org (vs FC3), and also
for mplayer CVS, compiled with gcc 3.4.3 (default FC rawhide compiler).

This creates problems for the SELinux strict policy, and requires that
special privileges be granted for mplayer as a "legacy domain".

The question is, does mplayer really require an executable stack?

I'm not a gcc expert of any kind, but from what I've read I understand
that asm code causes gcc to mark the binary as requiring executable
stack. I think it can be overriden with ld -z noexecstack.

It would be a lot easier to write the mplayer security policy
if it didn't require executable stack.

--
Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2 at cornell.edu>
Cornell University