[MPlayer-dev-eng] Soft volume clip methods

Zoltan Hidvegi mplayer at hzoli.2y.net
Sun Feb 20 02:11:35 CET 2005

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Saturday 19 February 2005 23:52, Zoltan Hidvegi wrote:
> > The current softclip method used my libaf is sin(x), which is slow,
>
> wait a second, libaf directly calls sin(x) for every sample instead of using a
> LUT, thats just a joke right?

Unfortunately, that's no joke.  Sure LUT can be used, and with LUT,
the int and float code could both use the same clipping functions,
unlike the current implementation, which only support hard clipping
for int samples.

> please use a look up table, then it doesnt matter at all how slow it is, its
> just calculated once at startup

Sure, but the question still remains what clip function to use, what's
the criteria for a good clip function?

Zoli