[MPlayer-dev-eng] Any plan to add libavformat mencoder -of driver?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Feb 19 15:56:08 CET 2005

Hi

On Saturday 19 February 2005 06:30, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 03:06:35AM +0100, Gianluigi Tiesi wrote:
> > I've tried to add output formats by libavformat to mencoder,
> > but it doesn't seams so trivial. libavcodec structs are different
> > but the main problem is that libavformat wants to known the codec
> > to handle it directly.
> > Any idea?
>
> imo it's more complicated than this. libavformat (for many formats at
> least) MUST have valid timestamps, and i simply don't think mencoder
> provides them. without b frames it's easy to just generate your own,
> but with b frames i don't know if there's any easy way.... :(

libavformat should generate timestamps if possible (no b frames and fixed
fps), for the other cases there really isnt any difference between
libavformat as muxer or a native muxer, either timestamps are available
somehow or they are not

btw, how does the mpeg muxer deal with this?

[...]
--
Michael

"nothing is evil in the beginning. Even Sauron was not so." -- Elrond