[MPlayer-dev-eng] Major sleep() performance issue

Romain Dolbeau dolbeau at caps-entreprise.com
Thu Feb 17 13:27:40 CET 2005

Dieter Shirley wrote:
> One of the common bits of lore about mplayer running under OS X is that
> it's much slower than VLC.  Well, my attempts to use VLC on the Mac have
> left me frustrated, while I'm very comfortable with mencoder and
> mplayer, so I set about tracking down where the problem lay.
[snip]
> I've "fixed" my local copy by changing both of the 0.020 fudge factors
> above to 0.005 (the same as min since softsleep is off), but this
> obviously doesn't constitute a general solution for platforms where
> sleep isn't so accurate.

Your fix diminish considerably the overhead, but for some reason, I
still need to use timer-lx.c ; with timer-darwin.c player is still running
at 100%, mostly in userspace. with timer-lx.c, it works just fine (much
better than before), thanks a lot.

Running OSX 10.3.7 on my 667 Mhz ti'book.

--
Romain Dolbeau
<romain at dolbeau.org>