[MPlayer-dev-eng] mga_vid for 2.6 kernels storage in cvs
attila at kinali.ch
Thu Feb 17 11:15:43 CET 2005
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 01:09:19 +0100
Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
> Attila Kinali writes:
> > I want to somewhen soon move the mga_vid development,
> > which is currently in my private svn back to the cvs repo.
> > But there is a little problem: every kernel minor needs
> > some changes.
> > This means that every kernel minor needs another version
> > of mga_vid unless i want to cluter it again with
> > ifdefs, which i definitly do not want.
> Maybe you can give a little bit more details. I'm not sure what you
> mean and somehow I have a suspicion that there has to be a cleaner
1) the mga_vid in our cvs repo "only" works for 2.0, 2.2 and 2.4 kernels
2) a "ported" and partly cleaned up version is in my private svn repo
3) i made snapshots for 2.6.9 and 2.6.10 to get some feedback.
4) it's quite some work to keep mga_vid up to date for the ever
changing 2.6 kernels.
5) i plan to put the "old" mga_vid end of life and only work
on the 2.6 "port"
The old version will be still supported, but not developed further.
6) every new kernel minor of the 2.6 needs a new version of mga_vid
Especialy the last point is quite troublesome.
I wont support more than one or two versions back, but there should
be some nice way to keep old versions around so people can use them
if they really have to. Maybe even in a way where patches could be
Although cvs supports branches for this, they dont work cleanly
enough that joe d. avarage user could cope with it. svn with it's
"copy when branch" approach is much simpler.
But, we don't have a svn server (yet). Ok, that's not a problem,
i've access to enough svn servers to fork it out. But i don't
want to. I'd like to keep the whole development together.
More information about the MPlayer-dev-eng