[MPlayer-dev-eng] c++ version of mplayer.c

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Tue Feb 15 08:24:37 CET 2005

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 09:36:22PM +0100, Attila Kinali wrote:
> > Please stop saying that C++ is easier to maintain since isn't language
> > related but developer related.
>
> That's actualy wrong. Using the right language can really help
> maintaining code.

No, if some developers can't know C++, only C ;-) In this case it _IS_
developer related :) 'Maintain' IS a notion which is a human notion
of course, everyone can write nice and ugly code, both in C and C++, this
does not matter.

Also the proposed changes uses C++ in a way which can be done easily in C
too. I mean, the ugly big main() function can be divided into more functions
for easier developing in C too, it simply does not worth to use C++ just for
this ... And so on. The real need for C++ would be a situation where objects
needs to be inherited and such, so the major features of C++. Otherwise it
is simply not needed, like gtk is writen in C, but uses some object based
approach. Many people goes wrong when think that 'objects? oh, then C++,
or Java or ...'. So again, the question which hasn't been answered yet:

What would be the advantage of C++ over C in _this_ project? So, things
can't be implemented (or in a much compilcated way only) in C?

- Gábor