[MPlayer-dev-eng] 3 pass encoding syntax poll

Martin Drab drab at kepler.fjfi.cvut.cz
Fri Feb 11 20:56:59 CET 2005

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, Andreu Escudero wrote:

[...]
> Anyway, you are somewhat missing it again, you are saying that 3 pass
> would be 1-3-2, and four pass 1-3-3-2, and, as someone said before, it
> is legal to use 2 as the third or fourth pass (when it is the last
> pass), but it is not needed to do that!

I never said it is.

> The correct way to do a 3 pass encode is not 1-3-2 but 1-3-3, imho.
> Why? because if you do 1-3-2 you are stuck with the 3-pass encode, but
> if you do 1-3-3, while you get the same result (for the avi file) as
> with 1-3-2, you are still open to refine a bit more to a 4-pass
> (1-3-3-3) or even a 5 pass (1-3-3-3-3).

That assumes you are doing it interactively. But when you WANT to do
3-pass, then the correct way is 132. 133 would be necessary assuming you
count with that you want to do more passes.

> I don't do encodes with more than 3 pass because in my tests don't
> find it valuable, but I know of people who program an N pass encode,
> during the night or the weekend, and then stop it when they see there
> are no more improvements.
> Using 1-3-..-2 as your encode makes an artificial limitation. Making a
> 1-3-..-3 gives the same result and still lives it open for an
> additional refinement, so using first, middle, last would induce to
> confusion, too, because then will be people who surely would think
> that they NEED to end their encodes with a 2 pass.

Well, OK, then the old pass=2 is pointless, should be removed and replaced
with old pass=3, make it refine into a different file and when full
pass is done rename the new log to the input log file.

Martin