[MPlayer-dev-eng] 3 pass encoding syntax poll

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Fri Feb 11 20:31:43 CET 2005

On Friday 11 February 2005 21:26, Loren Merritt wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, Oded Shimon wrote:
> > Also, as I mentioned before, if there's some ideal solution for backing
> > up the 2pass files, that everyone likes, it would be nice.. Yet another
> > suggestion - how about Mencoder moves your old 2pass file to
> > 'old2pass.log' or similar, overwriting any existing, and the rest is done
> > the same...
>
> Then you would have to remember to restore the logfile after cancelling.
> And if you don't, it not only starts an encode with no chance of
> finishing, it also overwrites the previous backup.

Yeah, I thought of that flaw as I wrote that e-mail - someone mentioned
something betters - use a .new file, and when you are done, replace the
regular one.
That way, no extra files are produced, you don't have to remember to restore
backup if you canceled, and it solves the -passlogfile option by just
appending a '.new' to the filename... I think that's the perfect solution...
Implementation is kinda a problem though.. The only one that really knows when
the encode is complete and successful is mencoder.c, and it knows nothing of
the log file (which is a good thing...).

- ods15