[MPlayer-dev-eng] 3 pass encoding syntax poll

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Fri Feb 11 17:14:39 CET 2005

On Friday 11 February 2005 17:35, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> Trent Piepho writes:
> > On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, Andreu Escudero wrote:
> > How about:
> >   1 First pass of multi-pass encoding
> >   3 Subsequent passes (2nd and up) of multi-pass encoding
>
> Or 1 and n, makes even more sense to me.
I think examples are the way to go. Simply say:

If you want a 2 pass encode, use first vpass=1, and then vpass=2.
If you want a 3 or more pass encode, use for the first pass vpass=1, and then
vpass=3, and then vpass=3 again and again until you are satisfied with the
encode. Each further pass refines and improves the encode.
1 writes a fresh stats file, 2 reads it, and 3 both reads and overwrites it.

If I were to read that, I'd understand immediately... As is, when I read the
man page, I was left pretty confused... That may say something about how dumb
I am, but I am more or less your target audience (I encode quite a bit, even
built a frontend for it...).

Also, as I mentioned before, if there's some ideal solution for backing up the
2pass files, that everyone likes, it would be nice.. Yet another suggestion -
how about Mencoder moves your old 2pass file to 'old2pass.log' or similar,
overwriting any existing, and the rest is done the same...

- ods15