[MPlayer-dev-eng] c++ version of mplayer.c

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Thu Feb 10 12:32:40 CET 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:00:39 +0100
Gábor Lénárt <lgb at lgb.hu> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 10:46:15AM +0100, Attila Kinali wrote:
> > Moin,
> > I wouldn't say C++ is the wrong tool for MPlayer. We are already
> > doing quite a lot of object oriented programming within MPlayer
> > (just think about all the [av][of] modules).
>
> There is nothing to say that object oriented stuffs can only be implemented
> in C++ ... See GTK for example.

You can even write OO code in asm. I remember that TASM had
some macros to simplify OO style programming.

> It's not the question that C++ is wrong
> tool for mplayer or not. It's the quiestion that C is the wrong tool and
> C++ would be better? It it's true, then yes: it worth to change to C++.
> But if not, what's the problem?

C isn't the wrong tool, but neither is C++.
I just see that a few things could be simpler to maintain and
change if we'd use a OO-enabled language (i don't think
C++ deserves to be called an OO-language).
But you are right, a conversion from C to C++ requires engergy
and it's not clear wether it's worth or not.
(Actualy i tend to say it's not, as we had huge problems
with C++ code in the past, hence only one C++ file is left)

> > > And C coders are elitist in that they think that every language other
> > > than C sucks big time. So what else is new?
> >
> > Full ACK.
>
> No. Don't get the idea. I've only said that there're several EXISTING project
> like MPlayer, or Linux kernel, or whatever which is ALREADY written in
> C, the developers of course know C (otherwise thet wouldn't have developed
> it ;-), there was not problem with being C, so then WHAT the advantage to
> change to C++? This energy requires to make this change can be used to
> solve problems which are REAL problems. Of course if we're talking about
> a just-born project, it can be OK to think about that 'starting to code
> in C++ or C or XYZ?'

Actualy, i had the idea to port MPlayer to pascal once and not
as a joke as the perl and java ports (who does remember them ? ;)
Just to see whether it can be done and whether it has advantages.
But i never had the time.

					Attila Kinali

--
郷に入れば郷に従え