[MPlayer-dev-eng] c++ version of mplayer.c

Jindrich Makovicka makovick at kmlinux.fjfi.cvut.cz
Thu Feb 10 11:00:56 CET 2005

Diego Biurrun wrote:
> Moritz Bunkus writes:
>
>>>so do you see any problem in having a C++ component in the project
>>
>>Prepare to get flamed to hell. MPlayer devels don't like C++ (that's
>>putting it mildly).
>

> HOLD IT EVERYBODY, STOP !!!
>
> This is the opportunity we've all been waiting for.  No, seriously,
> somebody took the time to do what nobody deemed thinkable.  It will
> never get merged in any form, but it's a valuable experiment.  Hugo,
> please run some benchmarks and put some real numbers where everybody's
> mouth about C vs C++ performance has been.  I promise to write up a
> news item or FAQ entry or whatever about it.

I suppose it will be +- same speed. At a first glance it looks like the
"good" old main() mess just wrapped in a C++ class. In fact, I don't see
a point in doing this. Writing the the filters and codecs in C++ could
have some sense, but this IMHO just adds another bunch of code to make
it C++, nothing more.

> At the very least this should have a high entertainment value.

Yes, I can't wait till Rich sees this :)

--
Jindrich Makovicka