[MPlayer-dev-eng] VIA Mplayer fork

Ivor Hewitt ivor at ivor.org
Mon Feb 7 20:30:59 CET 2005

On Monday 07 Feb 2005 13:37, Jiri Svoboda wrote:

> Let me ask some questions about CLE266 support (current and in
> development)... And current state of drivers

If you're asking about the open source unichrome driver functionality versus
the VIA binary driver support rather than MPlayer support then the unichrome
mailing list is the best place to discuss this.

> 1) Framebuffer support (not X based) - is there hw accel for decoding of
> mpeg(4) available for framebuffer (directfb, svgalib...)?
> -As of today all I've seen was X based only
> Brief look at "new" via driver: VIA has framebuffer support via new driver

Correct, and the focus for the unichrome driver development has been to
provide X, XV and XVMC support. However, the sources and sample code for the
unichrome driver are open and available, all that's required is for someone
with directfb experience to make the link.

> 2) MPEG4/divx hw decoding support (I do not count hw color
> conversion&overlay) - is there any?
> -As of today only mpeg2 is supported
> Brief look at "new" via driver: readme says that some mpeg4 support is
> available in their drivers

Since VIA hasn't released any specs or documentation for the mpeg4
interface.... and as to date there are no shipping retail CN400 boards... and
non of the open source unichrome developers have been provided with any
hardware. Yes you are correct currently only the VIA binary drivers support
MPEG4 accelleration. However we are about to get a CN400 based board in the
next few days and the first project is to implement the MPEG4 support.

--
Ivor
http://www.ivor.it/goog - MSN Search unbiased?