[MPlayer-dev-eng] Dithering 16-bit output for libmad

Reimar =?UTF8?Q?D=F6ffinger?= Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Feb 3 14:10:46 CET 2005

Hi,
On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 10:30:16AM +0100, Alex Beregszaszi wrote:
> > Since a lot of people use mplayer as mp3 player (personally, xmms
> > crashed a lot lately, I disliked UI in other gui players, and console
> > ones were lacking good controls), I made a patch that adds dithered
> > 16-bit output for libmad decoder, to increase mp3 playback quality. It
> > works because output from libmad is 24-bit, and producing dithered
> > 16-bit samples out if gives more quality results than rounding to 16
> > bits. The code is ported from madplay.
>
> What about adding a dither filter to libaf and change ad_libmad to
> output native 24bit audio?

As I understand it native would be 32 or even 64 bit audio. But adding
it to libaf would be a good idea I think, and maybe even a conversion
filter that can do any shifting that might make sense (e.g. musepack
in integer mode uses 32 bit ints but the highest two bits aren't used -
meaning that after converting to 16 bit with the normal af_format
implementation you will actually have only 14 bits).

Greetings,
Rreimar D?ffinger