[MPlayer-dev-eng] Lots of stuff for NUT

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Sat Dec 31 21:54:37 CET 2005

On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 09:23:21PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 09:00:03PM +0200, Oded Shimon wrote:
> > I vote for this to be official index.
>
> i vote in favor of putting the type into repeat

good..

> but i vote against the zero
> back_ptr which points to the current syncpoint

Why?... See below

> i also vote in favor for pos/8 instead of pos/16384 if the gain is just ~5%
> of the index

Yeah, I don't think that was actually on the table at all.

And, you've got it backwards!

pos/16384 gives a 25% gain (75kb instead of 100kb)

where as ambgiuous "zero back ptr" gives BARELY a 5% gain, and raises
complexity much! (Took me forever to check that my index "calculater" was
correct, because the data in was not identical to the data out...)

I see no reason to not include the "zero back ptr". Like you just said: 5%
gain is really not worth it. (again, out of a 100kb index, 90kb is the pos
and pts)

BTW, regardless of gain, pos/16384 should not be used. you might as well
divide it by 4GB, it makes saying the pos at all useless, because it now
points at a general location, and not at an actual syncpoint.

- ods15