[MPlayer-dev-eng] Lots of stuff for NUT

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Dec 31 21:34:03 CET 2005

Hi

On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 10:12:49PM +0200, Oded Shimon wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 09:08:28PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 09:15:49PM +0200, Oded Shimon wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > It depends on decode_delay. If you set decode_delay arbitrarily big, you'll
> > > end up with a "video preload", or you can even hack decode_delay to get an
> > > "audio preload". Both are evil/bad and need to be fixed.
> > >
> > > A legal decode_delay is any decode_delay bigger or equal to the real
> > > decode_delay. Setting it too big should not affect the result.
> >
> > hmm, why not simply make larger decode_delay illegal?
>
> Unofrtunately, it's non-trivial to know it in advance with an H.264 file..
> atleast not when remuxing. You'll most likely nees 2-pass.

hmm, if true that sucks, can any of the x264 devels confirm this? iam too
lazy to decrypt the h.264 spec ATM and maybe someone already knows the awnser

btw, mts will need 2pass too if decode delay isnt known
you cant take the minimum PTS of n packets if you dont know some value
m which is >=n well you know one the whole file (= 2pass)

[...]

--
Michael