[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [RFC] change lacv's MPEG-4 encoding options defaults

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Thu Dec 29 18:51:08 CET 2005

Am Mittwoch, 28. Dezember 2005 21:34 schrieb Rich Felker:
> On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 06:08:54PM +0000, Robert Swain wrote:
> > > For what it's worth, other codeds supported by MEncoder (XviD and
> > > x264 at the very least) have defaults which are carefully chosen
> > > (by people who know what they are talking about) to provide a good
> > > speed/quality tradeoff, making them a _lot_ more user-friendly.
> > > Users love that.
> >
> > The default number of b-frames for x264 is currently 0 while most
> > people use 2/3 as standard. Fair enough b-frames stored in avi aren't
> > perfect, but standalones can play the produced files, most if not all
> > software can play the produced files, so is this a real problem?
>
> Like I said: mencoder is broken so B frames cause a/v desync!!

??
That's only true under some circumstances. Normally mencoder + bframes
works very well. Additionally B-frames have been recommended for the
doom9 codec comparison. I don't think Corey made this to make mencoder
look bad :-)

> mp4 is NOT the preferred container for mpeg4 video. It's the worst or
> second-worst container for anything, coming in only after ogg/ogm.
> Making ignorant statements like this does not help your case.
> Preferred container is mkv or (once it's finished) nut.

A preceding "My" is missing in your last sentence. ;-)

> To use the (good) car analogy, it's like when a car comes with lots of
> useless crap (navigation system, luxury seats, 6-disc cd changer, ...)
> and lots of other useful-but-nonessential stuff (automatic
> transmission, abs, traction control, ...) in the default package and
> it becomes difficult or impossible to get a car without all that
> expensive bloat. The default package should be bare minimum.

The default package should be a sane default. It would be much more
expensive to manufacture each cars with an completely individual
configuration.

Regards,
  Matthias