[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] change lacv's MPEG-4 encoding options defaults

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Thu Dec 29 18:48:17 CET 2005

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 06:40:40PM +0100, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski a écrit :
> >Agreed. For example, I use at least mbd=2:mv0:v4mv:trell:cbp for every
> >encoding job and these seem to be "always win"-type options. Rich said
> >v4mv is not good for snow, but couldn't these defaults be used on
> >per-codec basis? I mean different for mpeg4, different for snow, etc.?

Very bad, changing defaults by context?? how do you even document this.

I can safely say I am completely against changing the defaults. Adding
no-opts however is a good idea.

My philosophy is still "leave it to the frontend", but the compromise of
presets I suppose is ok, only if the presets are completely documented, so
when using a preset you know exactly which options are used and which not,
and not bother tuning already tuned stuff with the preset.

- ods15