[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] change lacv's MPEG-4 encoding options defaults

Guillaume Poirier docmaintainerwannabe at laposte.net
Wed Dec 28 14:48:45 CET 2005

Hi there,
Wouldn't it be nice if lavc's default's were the best speed/quality
tradeoff?

Currently, lavc's defaults are pretty much "blazing speed at all costs",
which I don't think is a good idea since it doesn't help promoting lavc
as a high quality codec, but just "good very fast codec".

I'd like lavc to default to vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:trell:v4mv:turbo

In my experience
(http://tuxrip.free.fr//MPlayer-DOCS-HTML/en/menc-feat-enc-libavcodec.html#menc-feat-mpeg4-lavc-example-settings),
it was only 0.74dB below optimal quality while being several times
faster than optimal quality.

I'd like to consider adding vmax_b_frames=1, vb_strategy=2 and dia=-1,
but I have not made any recent speed/quality tests recently.

Maybe with latest Michael's commits, further tests should be done to
find the new best speed/quality tradeoff, but until then, what do you
guys think?

Guillaume