[MPlayer-dev-eng] Four small patches addressing build problems

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Dec 26 20:00:14 CET 2005

On Mon, Dec 26, 2005 at 11:13:23AM +0100, Guillaume Poirier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 01:34:38PM +0100, Peter Breitenlohner wrote:
> >
> >>attached please find four small patches for various (build) problems I
> >>encountered when building MPlayer-1.0pre7try2.
> >

> > All of these patches have already been applied.
>
> To CVS, indeed, as Peter mentions. The problem being that pre7 is
> probably ancient and not supported, but no newer release has been made
> since then.
>
> ... which is why I suggested maybe some sort of try3 could be released
> with no advertisement just to make the ppl who use this old (yet latest)
> release happy.

IMO we should not do this. We have never released backported fixes to
obsolete versions except for critical security fixes. These issues do
not affect someone already running an old version, just someone newly
insalling the obsolete version, and none of them are even important.
As far as I can tell they're just compiler warnings.

I am STRONGLY against releasing a try3 since it will just encourage
more people to use obsolete versions. Some fools might even try to
"upgrade" to 1.0pre7try3 from cvs..

If a compromise is desired, let's silently add these patches to the
download page with a note that they could fix build problems for
people who insist on using the obsolete version.

Rich