[MPlayer-dev-eng] poll idea (and the results will be useful for packagers)

Paul TT paultt at hackerjournal.it
Wed Dec 14 12:21:39 CET 2005

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 23:29:03 +0100
Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at rangers.eu.org> wrote:

> Here's an idea: let's make a poll where users can mark compile-time
> selectable MPlayer features that they use, i.e. VOs, AOs and
additional
> features like Theora, DTS, menu, LIVE555 etc.
>
> Rationale: after some discussion with different package maintainers
> it seems most of them enable everything they can. While I disagree
> with this, I find the feature set we've agreed on a bit limited.
> For example, I compile MPlayer with DTS and LIVE555 for myself, which
> I guess makes me a bit of a hypocrite. ;)
>
> So the point of the poll would be to see what should be enabled by
> default in the official binary packages.
>
> Obviously the poll would need to be web-based for greater
accessibility.

> Comments?

the idea could be good, but IMHO is a nonsense poll.
any person i know compile mplayer just to have it running with
everything they have, so up to every lib and codec and what you want
possible.
then, or mplayer will support runtime libraary_and_the_like detection or
it will depend by the user. dot.
it's hellish to decide exactly what to compile in or not...
is not official thinking about mplayer bin packs that they are not
worth of being there??? ;-)
i know ther are eround a lot of mplayer packages, but i think it's more
a problem with the builder of that pakcage than a problem for us poor
developers......