[MPlayer-dev-eng] [SURVEY] change mencoder's default ofilename extension?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Dec 14 06:29:02 CET 2005

Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 08:50:49PM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 02:21:15PM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
>>>
>>> Thing is, by the time been mencoder isn't smarter enough to
>>> select an apropiate file extension by examining MUXER_TYPE, so,
>>> he shouldnt try to doit at all.
>>
>> ...I'm sorry to say it, but this is so ungrammatical that I don't
>> think I can figure out what all of it means.
>
> I was this '' close to flame you here. Anyway, Ill try harder the
> next time, sorry.

Sorry... I did try to rephrase this to be as inoffensive as possible,
but it didn't come out very well. For what it's worth, the main place
where I couldn't figure out what you went was in "by the time been";
everything else was parseable without excessive difficulty.

> Ok, how about this:
>
> Mencoder in its _current_ state cant properly guess* output file
> extension, so, it should not try to => force -o

I don't see why it can't - or, rather, why it can't easily be made to.
Could you enlighten me?

>>> Force -o and make some trivial tests to match -of used with
>>> out_filename extension seems enough to me. Im updating the patch,
>>> see it attached at the end of this thread.
>>
>> I don't think it's ideal, as I've said, but it's certainly the
>> second-best choice.
>
> Is the only one with a patch.

True enough. ^_^

>>> ps: could you make up a few lines for the documentation part?
>>
>> First I'd need to know exactly *where* the "o= can go in the config
>> file" explanation should be put; the two obvious places are "under
>> the -o option in the man page" and "in the same place where the
>> config file itself is explained", but I'm not sure the former is
>> enough and I don't know where the latter is.
>
> Pick the former, is enough IMHO.

Acknowledged. I'll get to that as soon as I have the time when I'm sure
I'm not going to mess it up from subliminal tiredness.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.