[MPlayer-dev-eng] [SURVEY] change mencoder's default ofilename extension?

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Wed Dec 14 00:05:11 CET 2005

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 14:21:15 -0500
The Wanderer <inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:

> I'll note, first, that I would never support automatic extension based
> on container in any case *except* when no output filename was
> specified.

Seems pretty wasteful, to add complex code for automatic extension
naming to mplayer, and all only to be used in one rare situation, and
yet still not entirely solving the problem...

> -of raw* I'll admit that I'm not sure how to handle; perhaps
> specifically use no extension, or ".rawvideo" or the like?

Why not just do that for all file-formats, and not require mencoder to
guess?  The "-dump*" options just output to "stream.dump"...  Why not
make mencoder output to "video.out" or some other equally unasuming
extension?  Far simpler than trying to guess for one rare situation.