[MPlayer-dev-eng] [SURVEY] change mencoder's default ofilename extension?

Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet reynaldo at opendot.cl
Tue Dec 13 21:58:56 CET 2005

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 02:21:15PM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:

> I'll note, first, that I would never support automatic extension based
> on container in any case *except* when no output filename was specified.
>
> Other than that, I can only repeat that it can hardly be less correct to
> use one of the selection of potentially valid extensions rather than
> using a known-invalid extension.
>
> -of raw* I'll admit that I'm not sure how to handle; perhaps
> specifically use no extension, or ".rawvideo" or the like?
>
> If we can't come to an agreement on the subject, then it would probably
> be best to settle on my second-choice solution, making '-o' mandatory
> and documenting very clearly the ability to set it in the config file.

Thing is, by the time been mencoder isn't smarter enough to select
an apropiate file extension by examining MUXER_TYPE, so, he shouldnt
try to doit at all. Force -o and make some trivial tests to match
-of used with out_filename extension seems enough to me. Im updating
the patch, see it attached at the end of this thread.

Best regards

  Reynaldo

ps: could you make up a few lines for the documentation part?