[MPlayer-dev-eng] [SURVEY] change mencoder's default ofilename extension?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Dec 13 19:13:50 CET 2005

Diego Biurrun wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 09:10:58AM +0200, Oded Shimon wrote:
>
>> I didn't respond partly cause i lost interest, but also I guess
>> cause we'll never agree on this. I just don't see the problem.. You
>> say the problem is, a user did -of mpeg and got a test.avi ... If a
>> user specifies explictly -of mpeg, he should atleast be smart
>> enough to either use -o, or to figure out that the output test.avi
>> is in fact an MPEG file. More so now that there's a big loud
>> message saying so. Maybe the message should change from 'WARNING: '
>> to 'NOTE: ' ...
>
> But people are forgetful and make mistakes.  Somebody might put the
> test.avi somewhere and later forget that it was in fact an MPEG file.
>  She might pass it on to somebody and that person might not be able
> to play it.
>
> It would not take much effort from our side to add a little bit of
> intelligence to MEncoder, so why not provide users the convenience?

And this is, at the base, the exact reasoning involved.

Besides that, my main objection was that you were coming into a
discussion of "how to fix problem A" and saying "let's fix problem B, so
that problem A becomes less of a problem, and then ignore the remaining
problem". If you don't think that the original topic is a problem,
that's fine, but a thread where people are discussing it as a problem is
not the most appropriate place to come in with the unstated assumption
that it is not a problem.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.