[MPlayer-dev-eng] [SURVEY] change mencoder's default ofilename extension?

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Tue Dec 13 08:10:58 CET 2005

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 10:13:42PM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
> Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 08:43:02PM -0300, Reynaldo H. Verdejo
> >Pinochet wrote:
> >
> >>Default output filename of mencoder is always test.avi regardles of
> >>the muxer been used. Without trying to step on a 'extension
> >>are/arent meaningles' flame, think about windows user/progs that
> >>rely on filename extension to make 'open-with' asociations, icons
> >>disposal, etc. it may even be some apps that rely only on the
> >>extension for filetype identification.
> >
> >Ok, hope everyone interested had time to react.
> >
> >Option 5, propossed by Oded seems to be the winner* followed close by
> >'1' (force -o) attached is a slightly modified version of the patch.
> >Will commit tomorrow morning.
>
> ...the argument never actually *finished*, from my perspective; the last
> post in the thread was part of the argument between myself and Oded
> about "correct" behaviour (in which I asked some questions, and never
> got a response...).
>
> I still don't agree that this patch fixes the original problem, although
> it does (if properly implemented, which at a glance it seems to be)
> provide a less-than-ideal fix for another problem.

I didn't respond partly cause i lost interest, but also I guess cause we'll
never agree on this. I just don't see the problem..
You say the problem is, a user did -of mpeg and got a test.avi ...
If a user specifies explictly -of mpeg, he should atleast be smart enough
to either use -o, or to figure out that the output test.avi is in fact an
MPEG file. More so now that there's a big loud message saying so. Maybe the
message should change from 'WARNING: ' to 'NOTE: ' ...

Basically, there's no way a user knows -of mpeg, and doesn't know -o

On a completely different note, Reynaldo, instead of using "" and strlen,
use NULL and check if it's non zero, best way to check if a user really
gave no input. (Your method doesn't work if for some very odd reason the
user explictly did -o '' ).

- ods15