[MPlayer-dev-eng] [SURVEY] change mencoder's default ofilename extension?

Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet reynaldo at opendot.cl
Tue Dec 13 06:34:04 CET 2005

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 12:03:23AM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
> Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 11:39:25PM -0300, Reynaldo H. Verdejo
> >Pinochet wrote:

> >>Ok, hope everyone interested had time to react.
> >>
> >>Option 5, propossed by Oded seems to be the winner* followed close
> >>by '1' (force -o) attached is a slightly modified version of the
> >>patch. Will commit tomorrow morning.
> >
> >Wait.. this has a bad gotcha, mencoder -of mpeg with no explicit -o
> >will fire the warning, mencoder will complain for something he did
> >wrong, choosing test.avi.
>
> This (the default output filename having the wrong extension for
> anything but -of avi) is exactly the problem the thread was originally
> about fixing!

;) I agree, thats why I finaly updated the patch.

> As I've said, I believe that these are essentially two separate
> problems, with their own separate solutions. Oded appears to disagree,
> but I haven't heard anyone else weigh in on that question.

the two problems are closely related, we may just fix both of them
with a single commit. give it a try, think about it a little, anyway
youre the one who most activelly followed this thread, Ill not
commit this if you or any other dev dont like it. Id rater call it
closed without solution.

> >solution: mix this with the force -o option. see patch below
>
> >+#define MSGTR_MencoderWrongFormatAVI "\nWARNING: OUTPUT FILE FORMAT IS
> >_AVI_. see -of help.\n"
> >+#define MSGTR_MencoderWrongFormatMPG "\nWARNING: OUTPUT FILE FORMAT IS
> >_MPEG_. see -of help.\n"
> >+#define MSGTR_MissingOutputFilename "Output filename (-o) is now
> >mandatory\n"
>
> In any case, this phrasing is not very good in my opinion (and certainly
> would become obsolete in the long run) - something like "No output file
> specified" (with perhaps a mention of the -o option, I'm a little too
> tired at the moment to come up with good phrasing from scratch) might be
> better.

You know my english is barely understandable. you will probably lol
if I told you that I rewrote that at last 4 times. I'm missing
the documentation patch too ;)

Best regards

  Reynaldo