[MPlayer-dev-eng] new gui

Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet reynaldo at opendot.cl
Mon Dec 12 21:48:09 CET 2005

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 11:42:29AM +0100, Paul TT wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 16:32:13 -0300
> "Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet" <reynaldo at opendot.cl> wrote:
>
> > I'm voluntering to work on a new gui for mp, trying to work
> > with the actual gui code is completely out of the question
> > for reasons im sure most of the devs that had ever taked
> > a look there know. I'll like to hear any suggestions you
> > may had to make sure they get discussed before I start working
> > on it.
> >
> > In the mean time, and just to make this (hope not to be
> > flame war) discussion started i have some questions:
>
> eheheh
> i'm answering you before having read all the thread, to give clearer
> toughts, if something to talk on, i'll answer to the answer given to you
> by others.....

ok, thanks for taking the time to do so ;)

> MHO is that if a new gui must and will be written, it should be a
> separated gui, which uses -slave mode for everything...

I agree.

> the pros are:
> . one can update mplayer and recompile it also w/out rebuilding the
>   graphical counterpart...
> . the gui will become only an installation, not a compilation, choice
> . it's more portable, and easy to mantain, i think.
> . it can be uploaded on the site, and downloaded by many people, same
>   version, same look, skin looking the same way for everyone, and one
>   doesn't have to have strange libs to compile against. it's compiled
>   standalone and wow-you've-got-it, then you can change mplayer version
>   under it, too :-)
> . the sam way, the best would be to have a little gui foer every os out
>   there, but the chaos in the code coming from this, would be too great
>   i think, and we would need to have separate people working on that. if
>   one (ehehe reynaldo, yes, you) will be in charge in mantaining the
>   code, i think it will be easier.
>

> > - Is this needed at all, or is just me thinking the actual code
> >   is far from perfect?
> not needed at all. but far from perfect too ;-)

I think it is needed, not sure about the need of rewriting it but
sure we have to agree on some direction to chose: improve slave-mode
 (wipe out the existing, unmantained gui code could be a suboption here)
or start to work on a gui that fullfit his aim and coded so it dont
make the task of maintaining it a nightmare.

I think this is what we have to agree on from the start, there is
some 'infrastructure' in slave-mode but it is not completely fulfiting
his aim, there is some 'gui' made but it is unmantained and i think
it will stay unmantained for quite some time. what path to choose? Im
not sure, either one will take some work to from our side. Im willing
to give a hand no matter what the final agreement (if any) would be.

So maybe this thread had a miss start (apologies for that).

what do you think?

  Reynaldo