[MPlayer-dev-eng] Customizing binary names via configure

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Dec 12 07:19:20 CET 2005

Corey Hickey wrote:

> The Wanderer wrote:

>>> It's in mplayer.c at line 1378. See below (I've rewrapped it so
>>> it fits within 72 characters and is readable in this email).
>>>
>>> if ( argv[0] )
>>>  if(!strcmp(argv[0],"gmplayer") ||
>>>    (strrchr(argv[0],'/') &&
>>>    !strcmp(strrchr(argv[0],'/'),"/gmplayer") ) )
>>>          use_gui=1;
>>
>> Hmm. That's where the functionality is determined, yes, but where
>> is the binary name itself set? The binary has to be given its name
>> sometime during the compile process, and that can't be done from a
>> source file... and although the change you note would still have to
>> be made, it wouldn't make any difference if there were no way to
>> change the GUI-binary name.
>
> gmplayer is just a symlink to mplayer -- they're the same binary.
> 'grep gmplayer Makefile' to see where it's set.

...huh. I could have sworn I'd done just that, and found nothing - but I
did it just now, and there it is.

> You would have to put PRG_GMPLAYER into config.mak and reference that
> within the Makefile.

Yeah, I know (in theory - never written more than a trivial Makefile)
how it would be done, I just didn't realize where it'd *need* to be
done.

I'll see about getting to work on a patch in the next few days,
depending on how much time I can free up from my oh-so-not-busy
schedule. (Translation: how much time I can persuade myself to spend not
watching my habitual few TV programs, not doing installed-package
cleanup, not watching downloaded anime, and not playing - or translating
- RPGs. Also excluding time I may spend on something productive, like
looking for a job I could actually earn a living on.)

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.