[MPlayer-dev-eng] Customizing binary names via configure

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Dec 12 04:39:15 CET 2005

Corey Hickey wrote:

> The Wanderer wrote:

>> (In any case, there is still the problem of 'gmplayer', since I
>> haven't been able to work out where that name is set; if it's
>> generated by prepending 'g' to _prg, then things should still work
>> reasonably well - albeit with a few hiccups for some names people
>> might specify - but if it's hardcoded, then that would have to be
>> taken into account as well.)
>
> It's in mplayer.c at line 1378. See below (I've rewrapped it so it
> fits within 72 characters and is readable in this email).
>
> if ( argv[0] )
>   if(!strcmp(argv[0],"gmplayer") ||
>     (strrchr(argv[0],'/') &&
>     !strcmp(strrchr(argv[0],'/'),"/gmplayer") ) )
>           use_gui=1;

Hmm. That's where the functionality is determined, yes, but where is the
binary name itself set? The binary has to be given its name sometime
during the compile process, and that can't be done from a source file...
and although the change you note would still have to be made, it
wouldn't make any difference if there were no way to change the
GUI-binary name.

(I'm finding msyelf curious to know under what circumstances argv[0] for
any C program can possibly be empty...)

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.