[MPlayer-dev-eng] Customizing binary names via configure

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sun Dec 11 23:21:59 CET 2005

Diego Biurrun wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 02:05:48PM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Perhaps the simplest approach would be to just provide a means of
>> specifying the entire binary name directly ("--mplayer-name" and
>> "--mencoder-name"), overriding the hardcoded _prg and _prg_mencoder
>> entirely; that provides the most configure-time power for the
>> least coding effort and the least added complexity. However, for
>> various reasons which were clearer in my mind the last time I
>> thought about this than they are now, I'm not sure there aren't
>> problems with doing it that way.
>
> I'm not sure this is a good thing to begin with, but this one sounds
> like the sanest approach to me.

Well, it doesn't necessarily have to be done; still, I'd be interested
in hearing what problems you have with it, other than the ones I
referred to briefly in the last paragraph of the initial post.

If people think having this option would be a bad idea, I won't add it,
but there *are* people (including myself) who would like to have the
functionality available.

(In any case, there is still the problem of 'gmplayer', since I haven't
been able to work out where that name is set; if it's generated by
prepending 'g' to _prg, then things should still work reasonably well -
albeit with a few hiccups for some names people might specify - but if
it's hardcoded, then that would have to be taken into account as well.)

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.