[MPlayer-dev-eng] new gui

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Sat Dec 10 22:14:47 CET 2005

Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet wrote:
> I'm voluntering to work on a new gui for mp, trying to work
> with the actual gui code is completely out of the question
> for reasons im sure most of the devs that had ever taked
> a look there know. I'll like to hear any suggestions you
> may had to make sure they get discussed before I start working
> on it.
>
> In the mean time, and just to make this (hope not to be
> flame war) discussion started i have some questions:
>
> - Is this needed at all, or is just me thinking the actual code
>   is far from perfect?

If you came up with a cleaner code would be great

> - Is gtk the only and *best* choice for this?

gtk and qt are portable and overall sane (both work on every known
platform including the bogus one (win32)), qt has the problem of being
C++ and so being a pain with the dependence on the c++ runtime.

using a simple canvas (like evas) may be interesting, since the current
system is already skin only.

> - Is there any good reason why not to make the new gui use
>   slave mode for most of his tasks?

If the slave mode works as should would be great, having the official
GUI made working on it could be useful to extend and fix it better.
(I'd propose to add dbus support mapping slave over it but I'll do when
I'll have time to propose it with some code written ^^)

> - Is making the gui themable (on top of what desktop/wm themes
>   offer) a priority?

There are already lots of skin, if you like the "simple portable canvas"
idea would be easy to keep support for them

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Developer		Gentoo/PPC Operational Leader
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero