[MPlayer-dev-eng] new gui

Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet reynaldo at opendot.cl
Sat Dec 10 21:58:08 CET 2005

On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 08:43:27PM +0100, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 12/10/05, Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet <reynaldo at opendot.cl> wrote:
>
> > - Is this needed at all, or is just me thinking the actual code
> >   is far from perfect?
>
> There are several 3rd party front-ends available... Why not pick one
> that would be "good enough" and make it the official one? Why
> re-invent the wheel?

You could be right, but there must be some reason why that
direction (simple as it looks) hasnt been embraced yet, i can
think of one without too much hazle:

those guis are made by users to users, they build upon what mplayer
can do at a given time. Even the smallest changes on the way
the underlying app operates could render them unusable and
we all know mplayer will need some severe rethinkering sooner
or later. That been said I kinda feel an 'official' gui has
to be made by mp devs to mp users carefully taking their
sugestions without loosing track of the minimal (and sometimes
not-so-minimal) changes each new idea, each cvs commit, introduces.

to conclude, IMHO, or we develop an in-house gui or we simply
wipe out the gui from the code base and make an effort to
provide an stable API upon wich, users that feels the need
could build his own graphical user interfaces.

We can as well forget about having a gui at all, but hey! there
is one already, it has to be a reason why...

> I don't use any of them, but this one looks okay on the screenshots:
> http://kmplayer.kde.org/screenshots.php

yep, it looks nice, some ideas could be taken from there if
we decide to go ahead and build a new one.

> > - Is gtk the only and *best* choice for this?
>
> QT is availble on Unix, Windows, OSX. I don't know about GTK, though I
> know it works on Unix and Win.

i just dont like QT, i never used it partly because i dont do C++
and have not plans to do so in the near future, besides, (and
please correct me if im wrong ) AFAIK, qt is 'freewared' only on linux.

> > - Is there any good reason why not to make the new gui use
> >   slave mode for most of his tasks?
>
> The only sane way is to use slave mode you mean!

just asking :)

> > - Is making the gui themable (on top of what desktop/wm themes
> >   offer) a priority?
>
> I think it would be neat, but I'm fairly confident that any graphica
> toolkit allows you to map some bitmaps to any of the buttons of the
> gui, don't they?

yep, they do, thats what i was trying to say with my 'on top of what
desktop/wm themes offer' statement.

> Guillaume

Best regards and thanks for the answer.

   Reynaldo