[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch][rfc] screenshot. Aspect Ratio problems

ObsessiveMathsFreak obsessivemathsfreak at eircom.net
Fri Aug 26 07:22:16 CEST 2005

> I don't see any reason why it should. Taking screenshots is not a
> normal function of watching a movie..
>

> There is no way to give a "what you see is what you get" output. It
> simply does not exist, since the scaled video only exists on the
> phosphors of your crt (cells of your crappy tft) for a split second.

There's an abundance of third party screenshot capture programs. People
really like taking screenshots. A lot of distros now include some kind
of screen capture function as well, which is more or less a poor mans
WYSIWYG. Xine does this, but also gets in wrong in the same way as the
patch.

> They're not incorrectly sized but correct. They should just have
> different horizontal and vertical dpi in the png header to indicate
> the nonsquare samples (however I imagine vo_png is broken and does not
> set these headers correctly).

I believe png can specify a pixel aspect ratio, for non square pixels,
if that's what you mean. However, png viewers aren't required to account
for this, and, though I haven't checked it, I doubt most do. vo_png
might actually be taking this into account, but do the viewers?

It would be nice to somehow rescale (terminology?) the image to some
required output before writing the png file. At the moment, I have
absolutly no idea how to go about this outside of putting some
additional filter or something in front of the screenshot filter. But
would that screw up the output? Is it possible in some way to grab the
pixels that were written to the screen, or have they been lost to the
program forever?

Just so as you know. The source DVD I'm working from had the raw data as
720x576 and then that was prescaled to 768x576. Hence all my trouble. I
checked it and both the screenshot patch and vo_png both output their
images as 720x576 when reading from the DVD, so I suppose this isn't
just an issue with matroska. It's all, so complicated.

I think I'll just re-encode my movies using a scale filter instead of
specifying an aspect ratio with matroska. I imagine this is a pretty
esoteric issue anyway. But if matroska and the like get more popular,
maybe people will want to specify aspect ratios there instead? If indeed
there is anyone else out there crazy enough to give a danm!