[MPlayer-dev-eng] buffer overflow of the month

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Thu Aug 25 20:12:51 CEST 2005

On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 01:24:18PM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> Diego Biurrun wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 06:04:33PM +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
> >
> >>Sascha just posted the "advisory" of a german one man security
> >>company on IRC:
> >>http://www.sven-tantau.de/public_files/mplayer/mplayer_20050824.txt
>
> >>Can someone confirm whether this is a normal sig11 or something
> >>more serious ? If it's just a sig11 i would like to post a news
> >>entry on the webpage as soon as possible to
> >>1) Tell people that it is not exploitable
> >>2) Tell people that we haven't been contacted
> >
> >You barely beat me to posting to dev-eng and this is exactly what I
> >had planned.  I assume this guy contacted /dev/null, otherwise we
> >would have reacted quickly as usual.  If he is really lying about
> >contacting any of us he deserves to be flamed to a cinder on the
> >homepage.
>
> On the date cited in that text file for 'vendor contacted', there is a
> post by someone with the name cited in 'issue found by' on -users which
> appears at a glance to contain the same information as the text file. I
> don't know why there was no reaction (people were busy and didn't notice
> it?), but he does not appear to be lying.

That's not what I understand by the term "vendor contacted" (what's a vendor
anyway in this context).  I expect him to contact some developer _privately_
before posting to a public place like -users.

I think it's time we made some sort of security policy available, so this
does not happen again (or at least we get to flame them harder for extra
stupidity).

Diego