[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer and MEncoder in single binary (was: [RFC] Advertising Slave mode)

Ivo ivop at euronet.nl
Wed Aug 24 17:34:30 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 24 August 2005 15:16, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 08:36:43AM +0200, Benjamin Zores wrote:
> > > This brings up the issue that was brought up regarding x264's
> > > visualization
> > > - it would mean MEncoder would depend on X and several other stuff...
> >
> > well, it will depends on libvo depencies right ?
> > not necesserally to X in no vo using X has been compiled.
>
> No, it does not use libvo. It uses its own direct X access because
> it's stupid..

Yes, that's stupid. If mplayer/mencoder ever becomes one binary and support
for visualization is added, it should be handled by mencoder itself and
x264 should be compiled without its stupid X stuff. My previous comment on
the subject (the split at the end of the video filter chain) was nonsense
btw, because by then the video isn't encoded yet, so you won't see the
artifacts introduced by the encoding. The split should go inbetween the
encoder and the muxer. One way goes to the muxer as normal and the other
goes to a decoder and a libvo output module. That way, you could compile
mplayer/mencoder with just libaa support and use that for visualization of
the encoding process :-)

--Ivo