[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [RFC] including x264 with MPlayer tarballs

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 17:42:21 CEST 2005

Hi,

On 8/23/05, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at rangers.eu.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 23 August 2005 at 00:17, Alexander Izvorski wrote:

[..]

> > * The x264 patch would need to be applied to the version of x264 which
> > is in the tarballs.  I'm not sure how to automate that as part of the
> > tarball creation script?  It's a really simple patch, but in any case
> > I volunteer to maintain it.
>
> What tarballs? If we include x264 in MPlayer's sources, we'll keep it
> patched and keep the diffs from official sources in CVS, too, for as long
> as they're needed.

I think the idea of Alex and I was just to import it into MPlayer
source tree at tarball generation time, not to fork it. MPlayer is
hard enough to maintain not to add another burden to the team (at
least, that's the way I see it).

Now, maybe it's a bad idea in the sense that if the scripts are only
run at tarball generation time, they might generate a source tree that
will not be as thoughtfully tested as if the code was always available
in MPlayer CVS.

Guillaume
--
Live fast, die old, and make very sure everyone knows you were there.
 -- Alan Cox