[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [RFC] including x264 with MPlayer tarballs

Alexander Izvorski aizvorski at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 00:17:10 CEST 2005

Hello,

Here are a couple of small patches (one for mplayer, one for x264) to
build x264 in mplayer, that I'd like you to comment on.  These are
actually very similar to Jindrich's build script in some ways.  The
mplayer patch adds a new --enable/disable-internal-x264 option
(default auto), and will use the internal x264 if it is there.  The
x264 patch makes x264 inherit compiler settings and defines from
mplayer's config.

Areas that may need work:

* Assembler detection, which people have mentioned: assembler is not
_required_ for x264 but it is certainly nice to have.  We can either
disable x264 if there is no assembler, or just build it without the
assembly optimizations? (and perhaps print a warning)  x264 doesn't
test whether there is a working assembler present now, but it really
should ;)   I think this will be fixed upstream in x264.  I'm working
on it now, but it's not in this patch.  This patch will however try to
use the correct assembler for the platform it's on.

* Creating x264/config.mak : now, I'm just running x264's configure
script, although I also have the code (commented out) that would
create a x264/config.mak directly from mplayer's configure.  The main
problem with creating it directly is that the ARCH and SYS* names are
not exactly the same, so we'd need to translate (although possibly a
patch that makes the names the same can be applied upstream in x264).
Also there are a few platform-specific linker flags.  I'm not sure
whether there is any problem with running x264's configure? (although
I noticed that other packages don't do it that way).  Thoughts?

* Currently the internal x264 is preferred over the external by
default if both are present.  Also the internal-x264 depends on x264
(i.e. disable-x264 disables both internal and external).  Is that the
correct behavior?

* CPU capabilities and autodetection: x264 always detects cpu
abilities at runtime.  Because of that, by default it will build with
everything on x86.  We can make it rely on the USE_* cpu flags from
mplayer's configure instead.  Is there any reason to do that?

* The x264 patch would need to be applied to the version of x264 which
is in the tarballs.  I'm not sure how to automate that as part of the
tarball creation script?  It's a really simple patch, but in any case
I volunteer to maintain it.

Sincerely,
Alex Izvorski