[MPlayer-dev-eng] [CFTWWI] VF logodetect/logoremove

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Aug 11 18:26:41 CEST 2005

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 04:42:13PM +0200, Ivo wrote:
> On Thursday 11 August 2005 11:45, Gaetan SEMET wrote:
> > Logo removals would be so nice in mplayer...
> > Do you know this project :
> > http://www-sop.inria.fr/odyssee/research/tschumperle-deriche:02d/appliu/
> > It's a powerful image reconstruction library.
> > I don't think it is usable for "live" processing, but it may be
> > interesting to look at it.
>
> It's certainly interesting. Thanks! Just now that I had lost interest :)
>
> You're right it's not usable for realtime processing. It needs thousands of
> itterations. I have the parrot example running for minutes now and the
> fence is still mostly vissible. Parts are gone though and it looks good.
> So, for image reconstruction, it's useless, unless you can bear 1 frame per
> hour or something. Even if you limit the region you reconstruct, it will
> still take thousands of itterations and maybe five to ten minutes to
> reconstruct only one frame.

Of course it's probably shitty code that uses doubles all over the
place, and all sorts of other inefficiencies. Just rewriting it
properly would probably get a 10x speedup, without even considering
algorithmic optimizations. Of course this is just a guess, based on
the way academic proof of concept code usually works..

> But, I have also run the denoising examples, and that could be interesting
> as a high quality denoiser. After 40-60 itterations, all the noise is gone
> and the result looks very good. It will still be slow as hell (maybe one
> frame per ten seconds), but for encoding small video clips, it might just
> be feasible.

Optimized, this would be perfectly fine. I'm used to 1fps or slower
encoding anyway.

Rich