[MPlayer-dev-eng] [CFTWWI] VF logodetect/logoremove

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Aug 11 17:11:54 CEST 2005

Ivo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A while ago, several logo removal video filters where posted. By that
> time, I wrote a detection filter and an improved alpha-deblend
> filter. It was never really finished and I completely lost interest.
> In fact, I find deblended or blurred logo's even more annoying than
> the original logo's. For a decent deblend, the logo has to be
> transparent enough (which most of them aren't), otherwise you get a
> lot of noise in the non-dark/light scenes. And all blur algorithms I
> have seen so far make the logo look like it's behind a +10 dioptre
> lens.
>
> So, why do I post this code here? Well, I got bugged to release it
> several times (you know who you are :) ) and maybe others have use
> for it. In no case will I commit this code (or lobby for it) and
> maintain it, but if others want to, go ahead.

Sounds interesting, and nice if it can be gotten to work as planned
(although it doesn't grab me to start trying to achieve that
immediately). I realize that you're not intending to support this patch
in the usual "I want this to get committed" way, but as a note for
anyone who *does* decide to work on it, I'd like to point out (in
load_pnm(), vf_logoremove.c):

>     if (!f) {
>        fprintf(stderr, "Can't open %s\n", filename);
>        return 0;

As far as I can tell, there are no mitigating circumstances which would
exempt this from being printed via mp_msg instead. As a matter of fact,
mp_msg.h is included by both of these files, but its contents do not
appear to have been referred to in either of them.

There are six similar occurrences of fprintf(stderr, ...) in the stack
of ifs immediately below, along with one other (commented out, should be
MSGL_DEBUG or higher) in vf_logodetect.c's uninit().

If this code reaches the point of being committed, then these should all
be changed to mp_msg.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.