[MPlayer-dev-eng] An Idea - I cannot develop it. Scrap it if it is not any good.

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Fri Aug 5 04:13:32 CEST 2005

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 09:37:59AM -0400, Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 14:26 +0100, VJ wrote:
> >   I was just thinking if somebody adds this feature to mencoder
> > someday - a filter which shows the frames on the screen as they are at
> > the stage where the filter is added in the chain. It could be used to
> > show the encoding as it proceeds. It could show all frames or every
> > nth frame
>
> I have developed something like this called vf_outbuf, which writes the
> contents of the video to a shared memory buffer.  An external
> application can handle the display portion of it, which is how it should
> be in mencoder's case anyway.  Although I didn't build it for the type
> of thing you're describing, it would be possible to use it that way.

That sounds like it would work pretty well... I do wish it would be
possible to actually preview the ENCODED video while encoding, if it did
MEncoder would be the first program on earth to support it. :) The obvious
problem is the keyframing... Solution is to either decode the entire video
which is wasteful or preview just keyframes which isn't very representative
of the encode... :/

> It's sort of work-in-progress at the moment.  I hadn't planned on
> posting it here for a while.  But if there's an interest I can whip
> together a patch.

I'm interested.. I might add it to Kmenc15 some day.. assuming that I might
some day actually add a line of code to that damn program. :P

- ods15