[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] preliminary x264 encoding help text

Romain Dolbeau romain at dolbeau.org
Fri Apr 29 17:55:13 CEST 2005

Jeff Clagg wrote:

> I've found clips where the global PSNR optimal ip_factor is around 2.0,
> with an optimal pb_factor of 1.6 or so. The optimal settings were found
> by searching the option space for ip_factor in 0.1 intervals, then doing
> the same for pb_factor (this didn't take long since the clips were CIF
> and only a few minutes long). Does anyone else think these numbers seem
> ridiculously high?

Sorry for the shameless plug, but for such a job you may want to have
a look at my tool 'mencgen', which was designed eactly for this kind
of work:
<http://www.caps-entreprise.com/private/dolbeau/lavcGenetic/>

I've added ip_factor and pb_factor to the x264 options file, but I'm
not sure if it's up-to-date for the current version of x264 and mencoder,
any bug report is very welcome. Feel free to ask any questions on the
tool, should you try to use it.

--
Romain Dolbeau
<romain at dolbeau.org>